Follett ACCESS Refund Process
Follett ACCESS orders are processed through SODA, so Follett ACCESS refunds follow the same steps as an online purchase refund. Follow the SODA Returns in SODA process for a return with or without a receipt.
Note: A refund and return for a digital Follett ACCESS purchase is handled automatically through SODA once the class drop is processed. Therefore, no store process is required for digital Follett ACCESS refunds.
While this may appear to be straight-forward, there are some nuances to processing Follett ACCESS refunds that store management and cashiers must be aware. Store management is responsible for ensuring that any team member processing Follett ACCESS refunds has the proper training and security to perform these tasks accurately, efficiently, and Hassle-Free.
- Customers can return course materials obtained through the Follett ACCESS program before the last day for Follett ACCESS refunds.
- Receipts are required for all returns.
- Use the Customer Returns function in SODA to process a Follett ACCESS refund with a SODA receipt.
- If no receipt is provided, follow the steps to locate the order in SODA and process a refund.
- Follow all standard criteria when approving a refund, including management approvals and store-specific policies.
- Notify your manager or lead cashier if you need assistance.
- Follett ACCESS refunds must be tendered to the proper Follett ACCESS A/R account.
- Follett ACCESS refunds should not be returned directly to the customer, e.g., cash or gift card. The customer has paid the campus for both tuition and the books; the campus pays Follett. It is critical that the billing is correct, including credit for refunds, and Follett is paid in full.
- Follett ACCESS may not be a familiar term to your customers. Your campus may have a specific brand for the program, e.g., books with tuition.
- If the customer does not have a receipt and does not know how the items were purchased, ask questions to confirm the transaction type, e.g., Were the books paid for as part of your tuition?
- Customer may not be aware that Follett ACCESS orders are processed through SODA as an online order, so don't assume they think of the Follett ACCESS order in the same way as placing an eFollett online order.
There may also be Follett ACCESS orders that have not been picked up by the customer. Follow the steps in the Abandoned Orders section of this topic to complete a refund for an abandoned order.
To process an Follett ACCESS refund without a receipt:
When a customer is part of the Follett ACCESS program, but does not have a receipt, if you cannot locate the order in SODA, there are two options for identifying the transaction to process the refund.
- Use SAM to find the SODA order or web order number and process the refund in SODA.
- Use CARP Customer Lookup to identify the transaction and process an A/R House Charge refund to the Follett ACCESS A/R account.
SAM & SODA
Find the SODA Order or Web Order Number in SAM
- Log into SAM.
- Enter your store number and select Manage Store.
- Select Order Search from the Orders drop-down menu.
- Enter any available information in the Search criteria:
- Student ID
- Last Name
- First Name
- Phone #
- Select Search.
Any matched orders display.
]The order is displayed with the SAM order reference number and SODA order reference number.
- Log into SODA and use this information to locate the order and process the refund.
CARP Customer Lookup
- Log into CARP.
- Select the Major Account menu.
- Select the person icon next to the appropriate Follett ACCESS A/R Major Account #.
The Customer Accounts displays.
- Select the folder icon to review the transaction history.
The transaction history displays.
- Select the transaction.
The Transaction History displays.
- Select the Tender Details tab.
- Verify the item to be returned with the transaction.
- Process refund at POS to the Follett ACCESS Course Materials A/R account.
There may be Follett ACCESS orders that have not been picked up by the customer. Follow these steps to process abandoned Follett ACCESS orders.
- Identify abandoned orders.
Gather merchandise and paperwork from any Follett ACCESS order than has not been picked up by the customer after the refund period ends.
- Contact the customer.
Attempt to contact customers after the last day of refunds for customers in the Follett ACCESS program. One reasonable attempt must be made to contact the customer. This attempt is defined as:
- One documented email attempt (preferred)
- One documented phone call attempt.
Note: Use the script below when attempting to contact the customer via phone or email:
Hello, my name is [your name]. I am contacting you from [campus store name] regarding the order that was placed with us via our [program name]. Please contact us at [phone number], if you have any questions.
- Document attempts to contact Follett ACCESS customers in SODA u Customer Maintenance u Customer Notes Selection u Customer Notes.
- Document attempts to contact Special Order/Pre-pay customers on the store copy of the Follett ACCESS order paperwork.
- One documented email attempt (preferred)
- Important! Retain the orders until the end of the semester.
- If rental: Check in items so the non-return charge does not appear on the billing.
- If purchase: Return items to inventory.
- Place merchandise back on shelves.