Store Ordering with Device
The Store Ordering with Device process is for stores with a large sales volume in supplies. It provides an efficient and fast way to re-order items through the MMS-Inventory Management (IMS) Store Orders menu. A hand-held Honeywell device is provided to scan items on the sales floor or in the back room. The scanning device uploads a file to the IMS Store Orders menu. Once the data is in MMS, follow the standard Store Ordering processes.
Follow these three steps to create or edit a store order in the IMS.
- Download a new inventory file to the scanning device.
- Scan SKUs or UPCs of items to be ordered.
- Upload the scan file to a new or existing store order.
The inventory file download provides current on-hand inventory quantities to make ordering decisions at the device while scanning.
- Log into MMS.
(Type mms.follett.com in Google Chrome.)
- Select the IMS Store Orders menu.
The Order Processing Search page displays.
- Click the gray menu button at the top of the page, then select Download Scanner File from the drop-down list.
The screen color changes to gray and the download begins. This step may take 2—5 minutes to complete.
After the step is complete, the Success message displays and the orderScanner.html file is visible on the lower left corner of the screen.
- Select Save to save the orderScanner.html file to the PC.
- Right-click on the orderScanner.html file, then select Show in folder to see where file was placed on your computer.
Typically, it is in the Downloads folder.
After connecting the scanner to the PC:
- Set the scanner to file transfer mode by swiping down from the top of the scanning device screen and tap Android System—USB charging this device.
- Select Tap for more options.
- Select the Transfer files option.
You are now able to transfer files between the scanning device and the PC, when the scanning device is connected to the PC.
Load orderScanner.htm File to Scanning Device:
The orderScanner.html file contains both current store inventory and any software updates. Software updates are installed automatically, you do not need to do anything. This file needs to be copied from the PC to the scanning device.
Important: Delete previous versions from this folder before pasting the new copied download.
Follow these steps to transfer the file:
- Right click the orderScanner.html file from the PC, then select Copy.
- Use File Explorer to paste the file into EDA51 u Internal shared storage u Follett_OrderScanner.
Note: If you have previously downloaded orderScanner.html into your Downloads folder, the new file may have a number appended to the file name, e.g., orderScanner(1).html. Rename the file back to orderScanner.html before copying to the Follett_OrderScanner folder. If not renamed, the file will not be recognized by the scanning device.
Recommendation: Make it a habit to remove the orderScanner.html file from your PC Downloads folder after it has been copied to the scanning device.
Launch the Scanner Application
On the scanning device:
- If the scanner application is open, swipe down to refresh it.
- If the application is not open, locate the scanner application, orderScanner.html, on the scanning device, and open.
Once the scanner application is open, the main page displays. You are ready to scan!
Create a Shortcut to Scanner Application
If you cannot locate the orderScanner.html application on the scanning device, create a shortcut to easily locate.
- Access the app on the scanning device by swiping upward from the bottom of the screen.
- Select File Manager app.
- In the app, navigate to the Follett Order Scanner folder, where you pasted the file.
- Press and hold (long-press) orderScanner.html until options display.
- Select Add shortcut. Two options display.
- Select Add Automatically. This adds the shortcut on the scanning device.
- Unplug the scanning device from the PC and start scanning items.
Scan Items to New Order
- Tap New Order on the main screen to begin.
- Aim the scanner at SKU or UPC barcode and press the gray button on either side of the scanner to capture the item for the order.
Note: The SKU/UPC can also be keyed in manually.
- Tap OK.
- Continue scanning/keying items as needed.
Once the SKU or UPC barcode is read by the device, the Item Description, Minimum Order Quantity, and On Hand is displayed.
Note: You can increase the quantity. Quantity must be at least the minimum quantity required (Min Order).
Tap Rescan to remove an item.
Or, tap View Order to see all items entered.
After tapping View Order, the most recently added items display at the top of the list.
To make changes to an item or delete an item, tap the row. The item displays.
You can edit the Quantity or tap Delete to remove the item.
Select Yes or No to confirm deletion.
Other Alert Messages
An alert message displays if an item is scanned more than once.
Select the Update Item link to adjust the quantity or OK to ignore the scan.
The alert, Barcode not found in store inventory, displays if an invalid item number is scanned, keyed, or if the item is not eligible for Store Ordering.
Tap OK to continue.
If an item is added, but the OK button is not selected before proceeding to a new action (Home, View Order, Save Order), this message displays:
You have not yet accepted the current scanned item. Continue if you wish.
Note: If OK is not tapped, the item is not saved.
If the quantity is changed to zero or less than the Minimum Order Quantity, the message, Quantity must be at least 1, displays. The quantity then updates to the Minimum Order Quantity amount.
Once scanning the items is complete:
- Tap Save Order. The Save Order screen displays.
Type the file name in the Save As field to assign a file name. Use the file naming convention below.
Important: This step saves the order file.
To upload accurately, you MUST follow this naming format:
- The first 4 characters are the store number;
- The next 6 are that day's date in MMDDYY (which is automatically defaulted in the field);
- The next two are your first name/last name initials;
- The last is a single digit to identify the order (e.g., The first order of the day = 1).
- Tap Save.
The main menu displays.
Important: Do NOT open the file.
The uploaded order is cleared from the scanning device.
You are ready to start the next order.
If you erroneously re-use the same file name, a browser message displays to confirm the download, but will append a (1) to the end of the file name.
To recover and correct the file name, tap the Download button.
Before uploading, change the file name to the correct name.
You cannot upload two files with the same to an order.
Again, DO NOT open the file.
|Important: If you tap Cancel, your order will be lost!|
Connect the scanner to the PC:
- Select Tap for more options.
- Select Transfer files to transfer the orderScanner.html file to your PC.
Once the updated file is downloaded to the PC, you are ready to upload the scan file to a new or existing store order in MMS-IMS.
From the MMS-Inventory Management (IMS) Store Ordering menu:
- Select Create New Order.
Select the order to add the scan file to an existing order.
The Maintain Store Order screen displays
- Select Upload Scanned Order.
- Select Choose File.
- Navigate through File Explorer to the Download folder. This PC u EDA51 u Internal shared storage u Download.
You will find your saved order in the Download folder with the .json file format.
- Select the file, then click Open.
The selected file name is displayed with the file details.
Only one file can be uploaded at a time.
- Click Upload Order to import the file to your order.
If you choose a file that you do not wish to upload, select Cancel.
The scan file is added to the order.
Two new columns have been added to the Order Details grid:
- Seq. column identifies the sequence that the items were scanned.
- File column is the name of the file that uploaded the items.
The Description column, previously in the grid, has been expanded to show the full 30 characters.
Maintain Store Order Functions
At this point, the items in the order function the same as if they were keyed into MMS—quantities can be adjusted, alternate vendors can be selected, items can be deleted, etc.
- Additional items can be added to the order by keying or using the Search feature.
- Another scan file can be uploaded to the order by selecting Upload Scanned Order again and repeating the steps.
- If a scan file is added to an existing order that was keyed into MMS, the File column displays Keyed for all items.
- If items are uploaded to an existing order and an item already exists on the order, an alert displays: Item already exists on the order. You must remove the duplicate item.
You can edit quantities if necessary, but a duplicate line item must be removed to proceed.
- If scan items are not downloaded regularly, an error may occur if SKU information has changed.
For example, a SKU might have been deactivated recently or the Minimum Order Quantity may have changed.
With any item level issues, an alert displays with the details. Use these details and resolve the issue.
- If you attempt to upload a scan file a second time to the same order, it will not load. An alert message displays.
- Only JSON files generated by the scanning device can be uploaded to Store Orders. If you attempt to upload any other type of file, such as an Excel, PowerPoint, or JSON file NOT generated by the scanning device, a message displays and nothing uploads. Select Close to continue.