Order Management System
After the customer places an order, the order flows to the Order Management System (OMS). OMS is the software application that:
- Manages inventory availability across the entire FHEG chain of stores.
- Sources the order/line items to the fulfilling locations where inventory is available.
- Releases the order for fulfillment.
OMS determines where the products are located and where orders can be fulfilled quickly and accurately based on the customer ship-to location and the availability of on-hand inventory.
A customer order can be divided by line item and sourced to: multiple fulfilling locations, the store where the order originated, other FHEG stores, warehouses, wholesalers, or Drop Ship Vendors (DSVs).
OMS will only route GM orders that are $10 or greater in gross margin dollars.
OMS follows specific routing rules to determine where to allocate course materials and general merchandise items.
See OMS Routing Rules.
OMS searches for a customer's preferred condition (New/Used) first. If it does not find it, OMS looks for the substitute condition. Then, OMS looks for future availability in open POs (new only) and places the item on backorder if no on-hand inventory is found.
If a customer ordered a used title:
- OMS first searches for the title in used condition in the on-hand inventory of the originating store.
- If it is not found, OMS then searches across the entire network.
- If a title is found in used condition in on-hand inventory within the network, the order is released for fulfillment.
- If no used on-hand inventory is found, OMS searches for on-hand inventory: New.
- If the title is found in new condition, the order is released for fulfillment.
- If no on-hand inventory is found in new condition, OMS looks for an open PO for the title in New condition.
- If there is open PO for the title in new condition, OMS holds the line item in backorder in OMS.
Note: The customer is sent an order update email notification with a line item status Backorder—will arrive soon.
- If there is NOT an open PO for the title in new condition, OMS releases the item to backorder in SODA.
- The backordered item is then released for fulfillment after an inventory update occurs for either the used or new condition.
Note: If the national rental title is Used Only eligible, the system will NOT substitute a used title for new. The store may contact the customer for options.
OMS Management of Store and Campus-specific Products
Store and campus-specific (or custom) products, as well as products with a unique SKU only available for a specific campus (imprinted) are not routed to other fulfillment locations because the inventory is not available.
In OMS, stores have the ability to view inventory availability and order status.
Use the Store Order Lookup Tool to:
- Search for an order by store number or the customer's last name.
- View the status of an order or item.
- Cancel an item within an order.
Use the Inventory Lookup Tool to view inventory by SKU or ISBN.