Extend a Rental or Convert to a Purchase Online
Important: To extend a rental or convert a rental to purchase online, the rental transaction MUST have occurred ONLINE.
If the customer rented the books in-store, the customer only online option is to return the rental by mail.
The following steps show the process a customer sees when converting their text rental to purchase or extending their text rental using an eFollett account.
Step 1: The customer selects Sign In on the Campus Store website to view the prompt to sign into their account.
Note: The customer must sign in using the same email address used for the rental transaction.
Step 2: After signing in, the customer selects Rentals to navigate to the My Account < Rentals page.
Step 3: On the Rentals page, the customer selects Rental History.
Note: The customer may also scroll further down the page.
Step 4: The customer views the rental item(s) in their Rental History and the available options. Rental History displays only rentals that have been processed, either in-store or online.
- Each rental item displays a Status (e.g., Active Rental or Complete) and whether it was rented in-store or online.
- Books previously checked-in or charged to collateral will not display the Return, Buy, or Extend options, and the Status will display as Complete.
- Return by Mail is displayed for rental items not yet checked-in, the collateral has not been charged for up to 30 days past the rental due date, or if the customer rented the items in-store.
- Buy and Extend are displayed for rental items that were rented online, not yet checked-in, or the collateral has not been charged,AND they have a rental due date in the future.
- The Extend option is only displayed if the rental item is adopted for a future term.
Step 5: The customer selects Buy to convert their purchase.
A pop-up window displays over the screen.
Step 6: The customer reviews the Buy instructions on the pop-up.
- The Quantity Available indicates the quantity the customer has rented of this title. The customer cannot buy more than the quantity rented.
Note: If a customer decides they would rather extend their rental or return it by mail, they need to click on the 'X' in the top right corner to close the pop up box.
The customer will return to the item listed in Rental History to access the other rental options.
For instance, if the customer decided to extend their rental rather than convert it to a purchase.
After selecting Extend, the Extend rental pop up instructions would guide the customer to enter the quantity and term to extend the number of days before the rental needs to be returned. Then just like convert to purchase, the customer selects Add to Bag.
However, in this illustration the customer decides to convert their rental to a purchase.
Step 7: The customer enters the Quantity to Buy and then selects Add to Bag.
Step 8: The customer sees a pop-up confirming the item has been added to their bag.
- If the customer clicks View Bag & Checkout the transaction is completed.
- If the customer selects Continue Shopping, the pop-up closes and the customer will remain on the Rentals page.
- If the customer does NOT complete checkout, the item remains in their shopping bag, and they can either complete the transaction at another time or remove the item.
When the customer navigates back to the Rentals page, the item shows a Pending status, with the message “Pending Rental Buy.” The options to Return by Mail, Buy, or Extend are not displayed.
- If the customer wants to access the Return by Mail, Buy, or Extend options again, the item needs to be removed from the bag.
The customer can remove the item from their shopping bag on the My Bag screen by clicking the Remove option displayed immediately below the item.
Step 9: Completing Checkout.
Step 9a: On the My Bag page, the customer selects Checkout.
Step 9b: Delivery Method Section.
No Delivery is needed as the customer already has the item.
Customer selects Proceed to Payment Method.
Step 9c: Payment Method Section.
Payment is required, after which the customer may click Place Order.
Step 9d: Order Confirmation Page.
- The order was submitted and will be sent to downstream systems for processing.
- The rental status will remain as Pending on the Rentals page until the order is fulfilled.
- This order will also display in the customer’s Order History.
- The customer will receive an order confirmation email and order status update emails similar to any other online transaction.